Feb 232014

And here’s a costume ref concept from a fun project i’m crankin on right nowz – inked on the crappiest, bleediest paper you can imagine. woot only 98 more pages of it to use. :-/
Technically, the extra arms shouldn’t be … posed … but at this point i cant resist the chance to emote more hands.

Haven’t posted much here since mid december – trying to get the kinks worked out of my domino stack of social media updates to make life easier. Lots more to show very soon!


Oct 052013

Well. this is exciting…

I illustrated and designed an album cover for Northern Spy Records. Release date is 29 October 2013
'Merles' DIGIPAK! boom!Northern Spy Records out of New York. Northern Spy is doing a digipak AND a limited edition vinyl run of 300 copies. The record is fantastic and the Northern Spy folks were truly a pleasure to work with. Can’t wait to see these in print!

Here are the sketches of the musicians. Everything done in inkwash and casein on 8.5 x 11″ grey cardstock. There are some traces of feint pink print underneath. Since these had to be very contained, and done very quickly, i printed my digital sketch onto the cardstock at 18% magenta (0,18,0,0) and then render directly on top of that. Big time saver. Once i finished painting these up, i fixed the nagging proportional and textural issues in Photoshop. But they are retained here for your amusement. Front cover mostly Photoshop.
Dr. Eugene Chadbourne 1 of 2
Dr. Eugene Chadbourne 2 of 2
Bryan Murray
Jon #1 (on woodwinds)
Jon #2 (on telecaster)

Thanks for looking!

Sep 092013

Did this “Chuck” Bargue last night. Been a while since i’ve done one of these, but i gotta keep cranking through them. Get past the feet sooner rather than later. While working, i took a nice hi-res SLR pic about every ten minutes. I say “about every ten minutes” because i was using a timer app on my phone. So, to be honest, it actually took me a little over two (2) hours.

You can watch the entire process in 12 seconds. The GIF is a little unweildy at 3.5 mb, so it’ll take a few minutes to load. First time i’ve done one of these. I’ll have to do it again since i’m okay with how this turned out…

Final finished page:

Added some grey, aqua, and some true blue spray paint splatters to balance out the bland yellow expanse of the page. Couldn’t include these in my procedural GIF, since I cant use spray paint indoors. sorry. this teal glow around final plate was done with acrylic paint. This particular color and its associated midtones lost a lot of quality with sRGB export selected in Photoshop. Had to export without sRGB selected to preserve the “Adobe RGB” profile.

thanks for looking!